tisdag, november 11, 2008

How do digital natives work?

When I started working (as a journalist), I wrote on a typewriter, on paper. The editor corrected stuff with red pencil (or I did to others, as I was an editor too), and then we sent the pieces to the printer, who actually had ladies typing them in to the typesetting system, where they produced a plastic plate (hot lead had gone the year before), which was mounted by hand in the presses and used to print the paper.
I remember when I first used email, how liberating it was. And when I got my mobile phone, I could reach anyone anywhere in the world. The web - that was another revelation. And revolution.
This week, my niece came to visit. She is a lot younger than me - and a digital native. Not quite young enough to remember the world without the web, she falls below the 35-year line, where Swedish researchers have established that the divide goes between digital natives and ordinary users. Younger than 35, and you just use the net, mobile phones, and other things as part of your everyday life. Older, and sending an email is still prefaced with the mental model "it is almost like a letter". I am not sure she has ever sent a letter.
The digital native cut-off is likely to be lower in other countries, less advanced than Sweden. But it certainly makes you thing: I was trying to communicate with her before this trip. She just assumes that when you send an email, it is read; that Facebook always existed; that mobile phones work everywhere. There are no barriers, communication always happens.
How do such people work? She has just started her working life, but I am sure she will always assume everything is always on. Server downtime does not seem to be part of her mental model. This is interesting, because to me, it is part of everyday life (even in a big and well-run company such as my employer). Delivery issues is part of the hassle of my work (no, not hers). And so on.
When she goes to work, everything is just there, up, and working. She can reach anyone anytime (the fact that there are timezones where some people sleep when others are awake was something of a surprise, and that she did not know how the international dateline works does not put a good light on the Swedish school system). There is no reason for her to be prepared for anything else, since everything has always been up and working. And that is how it should be. But does that make her more productive than me? She certainly seems to have a different way of handling interruptions (multitasking). But is that more efficient than focusing? Not sure. I am sure, however, that one of these days I am going to find out.

Inga kommentarer: