söndag, maj 04, 2014

Time to restart the experiment

Before I was interrupted by becoming the father of three kids, you may remember that I was thinking about business models and how things actually work in the new media world. Can you actually make money writing books or articles (full disclosure: even though it is more of a hobby now, that is what I enjoy most).
So I was saying thst I wanted to test the market, and now I have finally started to edit my book. I have written a lot, but the material is not coherent, and there are no fact boxes, point bullets, checklists or anything much of anything. It will be a bit of work to make this huge material readable, but it is an important and somewhat controversial subject where there are no other books.
Funny, by the way, that even though books are now liberated from physical shape, they remain the same. There are chapters, there is a structure, there are ways of making points and calling out important information. Even footnotes remain the same, despite hyperlinks being intentionally created to replace them.
I will not tell you the subject of my new book, since that would disrupt the experiment. Actually, I should say books. Since this is an experiment, and one of the things I want to test is how little marketing you can get away with and which channel is most effective, I am creating four different boiks - but similar enough that they would attract the readers who want to know about the subject but from slightly different angles. This will also ebable me to use tgem to generate upsel.
But it will not work if my name is on all of them. So it will not be on any. Instead, I will use four different pen names. And create four different personas, who will interact with the audience through the marketinf vhannels. Well, three of them, since the fourth id a control and should do as little as podsible.
There is another reason for this, one of the pieces of advice you get when looking at independent marketing, is to ask your friends to buy the book, or at least review it on Amazon abd like your Facebook page (you need 200 likes for the pageto become public).
You might as well ask your friebfs to give you money up front. That would be more honest. And easier on the friendship, since they do not have to loe. So indted of botheri g my real- life friends, the personas will bother theirs. And my experiment will not be biased ny my old friendships.
Let us see how it woeks.

Inga kommentarer: