torsdag, augusti 21, 2014

Blindness Is Light, Not Dark

The doctor, when he checked me up, noted that this would be my first operation ever. And it is true, I have not even had my appendix removed. The closest are the wisdom teeth.
If you wonder what the operation was about, it was the reason for my spelling being so bad recently: I was almost blind. I had cataracts on both eyes, so bad that when I closed my left eye, I could only see a blur. I would not have passed the vision test for the driving license renewal. And I could not see the faces of my kids, even with glasses.
So I had an operation, on both eyes. They do first one, then a couple of weeks later the other, in case something goes wrong. They only give you a local anesthetic, and they cut open the eyes with a laser (think James Bond in Goldfinger, but on a very much smaller scale). It was not painless, but it was less painful than pulling the wisdom teeth. That time is still the only one when a doctor has told me to go home and get drunk. 
Waiting for the bandages to come off is agonizing. As I write this, my right eye still works as before, which is to say things are slowly turning into s grey goo. I can not read without glasses, but that is nothing uncommon at my age. What makes me disabled is that large parts of the field of vision are fogged up. Like someone put a semi-translucent piece of plastic in front of things. The rest of my vision is like looking through a Vaseline filter, only grainier.
The hard part is strong light. Backlight turns things into shadows, no details visible. Glare becomes painful flares that remove everything else from sight. Reading, even with the very good glasses I bought, becomes hard. Small text and symbols become impossible to see. At a distance, contrasts disappear, so I can not tell if a grey car is coming down a concrete road. Driving would be really dangerous.
But close my right eye, and suddenly the world turns bright. I used to have extremely good eyesight - I am not kidding if I tell you that I could read traffic signs from a kilometer away. Now I am almost back to that. Almost. And close up, things do not work. The plastic lens the doctor inserted replaced my old lens, which was made to deform to change focus (as lenses in the eye do). But the plastic lens does not deform. It is fixed at long distance viewing.
I will get new reading glasses on Saturday. But I will start blogging more actively again, and writing. I have been working hard on the books for the experiment I talked about. 

Inga kommentarer: